Sunday, November 20, 2011

there's a marching band. in a bar.

Thanks to Katy for posting last week! You made everything sound so cool (which is true).

I'm already to post number eleven and can't help thinking about the many more ahead. I'm in shock that it's already Thanksgiving - this time last year I was starting to prep for marathon training (good luck to all who will be running Boston this year!). I'm pretty excited to be going home to Seattle this year for the holiday; the last time I spent it at home was seven years ago when I was a senior in high school. I think I've told that to every person who will listen, like I should win a prize or something. But yes, I'm excited.

This week/weekend consisted of visitor(s) #4 - Paul and Paige. So great to see some more familiar faces and former neighbors (close enough) from Cambridge. Paige unfortunately is here for work, but has the evenings free to we'll get to see each other a few times. I played tourist again this weekend and also showed off some of the places that I've discovered. I'm unusually tired tonight, possibly because of all of the walking I made Paul do this weekend (sorry!) so I'm going to make use of some bullets this time around.

On Friday, I met up with Paul and Paige for a quick cup of coffee to say hi and catch up before they went to dinner. Then I went out to Schroeder's with for drinks with Maddy, a German beer bar in the financial district. Turns out the Cal Berkeley marching band was also setting their sights on Schroeder's and played many tunes. They took a break to eat meatballs and drink, coke for the underage. It was a trip though seeing a marching band in a bar - too bad Cal lost to Sanford the next day.



The next morning, Paul and I set our sites on the Castro and the Mission. Our only stop in the Castro was to get a macaroon from Hot Cookie (among a few other treats). Probably the best macaroon I've ever had; we decided against the penis shaped ones, but I'm sure they were just as good. Here are some hightlights from the Mission:
  • 826 Valencia: the flagship writing center of the nonprofit 826. All of the 826 writing centers have stores with different themes and Valencia's theme is pirates - it. was. awesome.
  • Next door to 826 was Paxton Gate, a taxidermy shop. Lots of bones of animals, animal heads, animals in jars, bugs pinned to boards - it was a seven year old boys dream come true. I also thought it was cool. 
  • Mission Cheese: a fairly new place with amazing grilled cheese sandwiches. I had a mushroom one. Yum. 
  • Elbo Room: on a recommendation of Paige's friend, we checked this place out. She totally hit the nail on the head. I played Iron Man pinball and we took pictures in the photo booth. Drinks were strong, the music was loud. Good times had by all. 
  • Monk's Kettle: I'd been dying to go back here since Maddy took me during my visit in May. It has a great beer list and more beer glassware than I've ever seen. I had Death and Taxes and we drew pictures on the chalk board in front of us. Fitting.
  • So the burrito's are better on the west coast. Fact. We went to El Toro and in the seven minutes (guesstimate) it took me to eat the monster burrito, it took another 25 for me to regret my decision of finished said burrito. 

Today we wandered a bit in Haight, which was my first visit and jaunt along Haight street. As you'd imagine there is a smoke shop every six or so stores and murals all over the place. We walked by Haight/Ashbury and saw the clock permanently set at 4:20. Stood in front of a house where a five piece band was playing on a stoop; it felt like New Orleans. Then headed into Magnolia Pub and Brewery for a drink - the food smelled amazing though. I'm looking forward to heading back there at some point to go to Amoeba Music and spend hours looking at music I won't buy.



Happy Thanksgiving to all and safe travels!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the write-up Dana! I can relive my SF experiences through your blog. You were a great tour guide! -Pol

    ReplyDelete