Sunday, October 30, 2011

pumpkin carving. pumpkin beer.

This was a great week with a mix of busy days and relaxation (which I've done the entire day today). The big news is that Jumpstart's office is moving from Mission and 6th - a bit of a sketchy area - to Battery street tomorrow. We're going to be less than a 10 minute walk to the Ferry Building, which makes me incredibly happy. This happiness stems from the fact that there's a year round farmers market run by a local non-profit every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at the Ferry Building. I've been to the Saturday market (which is the largest of the three days) and it's amazing. I can't wait to some squash this week! Aside from my obsession with farmers markets, the office move is going to be a huge upgrade for us. The space is better, in a better part of town and it's going to be a much better working environment. Tomorrow is unpacking day!

On Friday, Maddy and I kept it pretty low key and carved some pumpkins. This is by far my favorite Halloween tradition (I could do without the dressing up). I was also dead set on drinking pumpkin beer as we carved, but forgot that beer seasons are like clothing in some ways, so I had a pretty limited selection, but was able to get my hands on a six pack of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale (brewery in  Hayward, CA). Not a Shipyard Pumpkinhead, but it definitely sufficed.

I always have grand plans for my pumpkins and tried to be a bit more creative this year. I attempted to carve The Pumpkin King from Nightmare Before Christmas and with the limited tools we had, I think it turned out alright. Maddy carved a pug and it's pretty darn impressive. I have yet to roast the pumpkin seeds but they were saved and will go in the oven this week likely.

On Saturday a friend from high school who lives in Mountain View came by to see the place and we went on a little tour of SF. The weather was amazing (sorry to those of you who were snowed in back east) and he has a Miada - the perfect cruising car. Brandon had some inside scoop of some not so commonly known places in the city from a former boss of his who has lived in SF for 15+ years. First we went to Best Buy (not exciting) and bought a wireless router for my apt. Funnily enough, the wireless router we had previously was in fact not a wireless router - that explains why it wasn't working.

Anyway, our next destination was Tank Hill in the neighborhood Twin Peaks. The view was breathtaking. This has to be the best view in the city - you can see Oakland, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Bridge, Candlestick Park, AT&T Park, Mt. Diablo and everything in between. There is no obstruction and you can see for miles. I will definitely be going back here! The last stop was the most random thing I've seen in a city - concrete slides called the Seward Street Slides. They are in Noe Valley, very close to the Castro, andwere built in the 70's (as if that needed to be said). I didn't get the opportunity to slide this time around because I was wearing a dress, but again, a spot I will definitely go back to.

Last night was a Halloween progressive party - boy do people in this town love their Halloween. But the most exciting part of the weekend was finishing my first library book. Holler! On to the next - Dry.

Have a great week all!

No comments:

Post a Comment