Sunday, December 11, 2011

running in the country > running on a treadmill

I can't believe it's almost Christmas. I hate to gloat (although it sounds like the New England has had it's fair share of nice weather) but it has rained only three or four days since I moved here. I've been told this is unseasonably nice; I'm pretending that isn't the case though. The weather has changed to sunny and brisk; I pulled out the gloves for the first time this week, but I don't mind.

Corey left Tuesday morning so we had Monday night to cook dinner together. Our meal consisted of fresh black pepper pasta (bought at the Fort Mason farmers market), butternut squash and sage sauce, and roasted brussel sprouts (on the stock - also form the farmers market). I learned a new trick from Corey - put a tiny bit of water on the pan of the brussel sprouts before you put them in the oven; it cooks them a little more thoroughly so they are nice and tender. It totally worked and they were delicious!

Tuesday I did some baking for my work Christmas party/cookie competition. I made Ginger Molasses Sandwich Cookies, which turned out alright. I did not win, but did get an intense sugar high/crash after tasting seventeen different types of cookies. What were we thinking? I also did not win the ugly sweater competition, but did wear mine the entire day (including out to lunch) so I should have at least won a prize for that. I did some more cooking that night with a friend and it was my first time making souffles. Saying that word makes me feel weird about making them, like they are too fancy for me. I contributed the swiss chard side dish, a little more up my alley.

This week consisted of two back to back concerts at the Masonic Center, a concert hall literally four blocks from my apartment. On Thursday I went to see the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus and man were they awesome! Two of my co-workers sing in the group of 275+ men and they sounded great, had so much energy and were hilarious. I love Christmas music and was happy that a bell choir accompanied them on some of the songs (I know, it's weird to like bell choirs). All in all a great concert and was so happy to support Kenyon and Chris. The second concert on Friday was a show put on by KFOG (a local radio station) called Concert for Kids. My aunt was really excited for me to move to San Francisco because she wants someone to go to concerts with; I was happy to oblige, especially when she picks up the tab. The opener was Airborne Toxic Event with headliner Death Cab for Cutie. I was happy to support the hometown boys - Death Cab is from Seattle. The audience was such a wide range of people (which I expected going into it). The sixteen year old girls behind us yelling "I love you, Ben" every five minutes was a bit overplayed; I think he heard them the first time.

The rest of the weekend I spent out in Brentwood on my grandma's farm. It is so peaceful out there, I could just sit outside for hours staring at the sky. We spent a few hours at my uncle's house yesterday and played a card game that I grew up playing - Liverpool Rummy. It brings back good memories of my grandfather because he loved playing. \We are always way more competitive than necessary and (tame) trash talk is a requirement. Aside from seeing my family, which is obviously the highlight, I was ecstatic about running both days on the road around my grandma's. It's so nice to run on flat ground and breathe the air out there.
I look forward to those visits to the farm when I can essentially go into hibernation mode for a while.

Only one more week of work until a vacation (holler). Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment