Sunday, December 18, 2011

two zero eleven coming to a close.

The week before leaving on vacation is always the longest. This week was also complete with a major low and major high (I'm glad the week ended with the high).

Around this time last year I was bombarding people with letters and cards asking for donations in support of Jumpstart and my marathon training. Although I've started running again regularly, it doesn't compare to training in the Newton hills. I'm hoping to join the 2012 team on a training run next month when I'm in town and hoping that my daily hill walking in SF will be a good training substitute.

On Thursday I welcomed visitor #5 (I think?): Brooke! I found out that she would be driving to Lake Tahoe from her home in Abilene, TX so I bribed her with a burrito from the Mission and a little site seeing (on top of the always present hug and high-five). It was amazing to see her and I am so thankful that we had some time to just chill and chat before she deploys in January. Friday morning we woke up to gorgeous weather and took off to the Golden Gate bridge. Along the way we saw the Palace of Fine Arts, which I've been wanting to check out for a while. I'm so glad we stopped because it's a very impressive structure. We walked around a bit, took some pictures of ducks and talked about how envious we were of the people who lived across the street and walked out their door in the morning with the palace as their view. Next we drove across the bridge to the lookout spots and then back into the city to see the Painted Ladies in Alamo Square. And yes, we sang the Full House theme song as she parallel parked impressively (there is photo evidence) on a hill.

We were in the market for some sushi for lunch, but stumbled upon an eatery right next to Mad Dog in the Fog called Greenburger, on Haight Street. It was the perfect place to stumble upon - I had a vegan sloppy joe (I never even thought to make one, but will definitely try on my own) and Brooke got a veggie burger. Really solid meal and I'll definitely go back if I'm in the area. Brooke needed to get back on the road and I had to get some work done so we parted ways after lunch, but it was such a great visit. Thanks for taking a bit of a detour, Brooke! It was a Christmas miracle!

On Saturday I helped Maddy with some cooking for a Christmas party (I'm always happy to lend a hand in the kitchen) and then off to the airport in the evening to head back to Seattle. Today I finally was able to visit a friend (Hope) who lives in Ballard and pick up a set of drawings that I asked her to do for our apartment. First off, they were even more beautiful than I thought when she sent me a picture, and second, they were EXACTLY what I was imagining. I'll post a picture when they are up in the apartment.

Well, I'm off tomorrow on vacation for the holidays so no posts until 2012 (where did 2011 go?). Happy holidays everyone - safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment